Beautiful things are made to last - and that is certainly the case with the three-hundred-year old wine estates in the Franschhoek Valley. Allée Bleue is a must-visit wine estate on this route and in addition to the historic setting that dates back to 1690, the farm-fresh salads are made using a range of micro herbs and lettuce that are all grown on the estate.
Who wouldn’t want to picnic on their luxury travel holiday?
A walled grassy garden, gingham tablecloths, views of the vineyard and the majestic Drakenstein Mountains in the background all combine to make the perfect picnic spot.
Let the kids entertain themselves on the jumping castle, water slide, soccer field and trampoline while you enjoy a leisurely lunch in the shade of large umbrellas and trees.
What’s in the basket you ask?
- 2 glasses of Allée Bleue Starlette Blanc per adult
- Homemade farm bread served with chunky farm jam, salsa verde, tomato, garlic and thyme chutney, onion and aniseed marmalade
- Allée Bleue mixed leaf baby salad with grated Parmesan
- Wild rice salad with organic baby carrots, pickled onion, basil pesto and smoked feta
- Baby fennel, red onion, preserved citrus with hazelnut dressing
- Soy-and-sesame-cured beef stir fry with egg noodles
- Salted chicken served with coconut shavings, dried mango and coconut dressing
- Artisanal cheeses
- Homemade mini melktert
- Fruit from the farm
Whilst the above are the standard basket options - vegetarian options available upon request.
If you would like to picnic at the foot of the Great Drakenstein Mountains - let our team know today and we’ll work it into your itinerary for you!
The Insider Guide